.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Another Brick In The Wall

The ramblings of a non-conforming, ne'er-do-well, mainly on politics and society.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Philips tries to block ad-blocking


"Philips is attempting to patent a technique that would prevent viewers from skipping through ads embedded within recorded programmes or even channel surfing during broadcast ad breaks - or force viewers to cough up cash if they want to avoid the ads."

"A viewer may either watch the advertisements or pay a fee in order to be able to change channels or fast forward when the advertisements are being displayed," Philips' potential patent states."


This is the kind of crap that just gets under my skin. I block ads online because I have no intention of buying anything I don't need, and won't be forced to look at them. The same goes for TV, though I just ignore those, and see what else is on. Now they don't want me to do that anymore. Well screw'em. Soon as I have the misfortune of having to buy new electronics with any of this sort of nonsense, I'll be looking around for hacks to undo it. As soon as they get that crap to market, someone's going to rip it apart and figure out how to defeat it, and I'll be right there cheering them on.

I've never been swayed by any of the pro-ad excuses because I've never been the type of sucker they're looking for anyway, that runs out and buys just because I saw it on TV. I don't care if advertisers choose to sponsor programs so we can watch them for free, I wouldn't buy any of their wares unless I developed a need, outside of being told by them that I "must have it". If they think they're going to hold me hostage, they'd better develop a very thick skin. Hardware markers, sponsors, and show production companies are going to hear an earfull from me. I'll even go as far as telling them that I've defeated their practice, even if I haven't, just to screw with their heads.

To hell with patents and copyrights, once I buy something for my own personal use, I'll do with it whatever I damn well please.

Link

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home