.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Another Brick In The Wall

The ramblings of a non-conforming, ne'er-do-well, mainly on politics and society.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, December 10, 2005

America Online: Made in Langley, VA


"Encyclopedia Britannica explains that the foundation of the Internet was "inspired by advances in science and technology that occurred as a result of World War II; the NSF was established by the U.S. Congress in the National Science Foundation Act of 1950." What the NSF is, in other words, is one of a blizzard of intelligence fronts that were set up in the immediate aftermath of the forming of the CIA itself in 1947."

"Of course, just because the beloved internet was begun as an intelligence entity and is still administered by a government agency doesn't mean that it still functions as an intelligence tool. It is worth noting, however, that the company that was primarily responsible for repackaging the internet into a civilian entity, America Online, is perhaps the most thinly veiled intelligence front ever conceived."


Interesting little tidbit I just found. I knew there was a reason for my distaste for this ISP, with it's paternalistic attitude towards it's customers. I signed up for a months' free trial some years ago when I first got connected and was searching for a permanent provider. I'd only tried two other trials before checking out AOL, but AOL put me off right away. They seemed all too eager to take complete control and lead me around the internet by the hand. If you've tried it, and didn't like it, you know what I mean. I stopped using it after only three days. They made me feel claustrophobic.

Anyway, this is the most likely reason the government was so adamant about keeping control away from other countries. But then again, this could all be just a silly coincidence that they're located in the same tiny little hole as the CIA. You believe in coincidences don't you?

Link

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home