.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Another Brick In The Wall

The ramblings of a non-conforming, ne'er-do-well, mainly on politics and society.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Friday, January 06, 2006

Harris Survey: Many Americans Still Think Saddam Was Behind 9/11


"More than four years after the 9/11 terrorist attacks, 22% of adults believe that Saddam Hussein "helped plan and support the hijackers who attacked the United States on September 11," according to a new Harris Poll. And nearly one in four (24%) of all adults wrongly believe that "several of the hijackers who attacked the United States on September 11 were Iraqis."


This is just disgusting (if accurate. You know I don't trust polls). It's incredible that so many may still believe the lies, even after the media, who almost blindly accepted them too at first, has reported time and time again since, that none of it had any basis in fact. It's as if these people are living in a different dimension where the revising of ones' own perspective, based on new information, simply doesn't exist. Somehow they managed to pay attention when the President told these lies, but missed the part where he's had to admit the information was wrong (even though aspects of that was a lie too). If this were a lesser developed country, I'd tend to think that the news simply hasn't reach their isolated villages yet. But I refuse to accept that in this country, anyone can be so isolated, they have no access to current news. Even without online access, or cable TV, everyone who wants, can immediately find out what's happening in the world today.

I am, however, aware of a sizeable minority of the population who seem to wish to remain ignorant of the world outside their own little rabbit-hole, exihibiting little or no curiousity of anything outside. I'm almost ashamed to admit this to myself, but over years of meeting people like this, I'm slowly comming to the conclusion that maybe, just maybe, some people shouldn't be allowed to vote. I'm not there yet, but only because I can't honestly agree with any proposed method of weeding out the incurably stupid and ignorant.

And before anyone get the idea I'm referring to the poor, some of the most highly educated and financially successful people I've ever met, fall squarely into that catagory.

Link

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home